Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas Season 2013

Christmas 2013 has come and gone.  My first Christmas being completely myself, Mikayla.

The first get together with relatives wasn't actually associated with Christmas, but it did take place a couple of weeks before December 25th.  I have an aunt who celebrated her 100th birthday.  She needs help to get by so she is living in a care facility but still has her feisty moments.  Her children (my cousins) planned a birthday celebration inviting many of the relatives, but my aunt appeared to be put off by the crowd of people.  I suspect she would have preferred something smaller, and quieter. 

I had talked to the older cousin prior to this celebration, formally coming out to her and letting her know that if I attended I would be there as Mikayla, no longer as a guy.  I gave her the option of letting me skip this get together not wanting to be a focus of attention.  She accepted the fact of my transition and welcomed me to attend.  I ran into a group of cousins I rarely see, perhaps once a year, or at the usual funerals & weddings (and grand birthday celebrations).  I had not formally come out to them hoping that news of my transition might find its way to them by word of mouth.  So I didn't know if they "knew".  This group of cousins did treat me civilly and respectfully, although they kept calling me Mike.  I expect this type of treatment for the short term for people who have known me for any length of time as a guy.  I do understand that it will take other people time to get used to this change.  I felt that they wondered about the "new me" but they did not ask any questions about it.  I am considering sending them a formal coming out letter now that Christmas is over.

The next get-together was the big one, on Christmas day with father, siblings and their families.  It was the 2nd Christmas without my mother and the 1st without my youngest brother, both having passed away.  It was the 1st Christmas spent fully as Mikayla.  The day went quite well.  I felt that everyone treated me similarly to how they have in the past and I did notice that most were really trying to get my name and pronouns right.  I still find it amazing how well my father has accepted my change from being a son to being a daughter.  Especially after his and my mother's initial negative reaction when I first came out to them three & a half years earlier.  I did find it difficult to socialize fully with everyone.  I have always found it hard to socialize with others but now that I am presenting the real me I hope to overcome my fear of being amongst a group of people.

The last Christmas get together occurred yesterday with Sue's siblings & their families.  We met at a very nice family restaurant.  I first came out to Sue's immediate family shortly after doing the same with my own immediate family, about three & a half years ago.  But this was only the third or fourth time they have spent time with me as Mikayla.  The dinner went quite well and I did find everyone to be completely accepting and friendly toward me.

I realize that it will take some time for others to become naturally comfortable with me as a daughter, a sister, an aunt, and even as a spouse.  I didn't exactly expect this but it appears it may take some time for myself to become completely comfortable around others.  While I feel much better about myself since transitioning I still do have difficulty in the company of other people.  My strategy (if you want to call it that) at work has been to act and work and go about as myself without hesitation or fear of any negative reaction.  I must do the same with relatives and close acquaintances.  As others see that I am completely at ease being Mikayla and treat me with kindness and respect, I must assume that the last bits of uncertainty I may have will disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment