Saturday, December 21, 2013

Two things still bothersome

1.  Living in a male body.  Every waking moment I'm aware of this inconsistency.  My internal self image, my sense of being, my soul tells me that I am female.  But the physical body this awareness resides in has lived so long as male.  For most of my life I didn't believe there was any way to change this inconsistency.  I don't believe there is a way to change my fundamental sense of self.  But I have finally learned of ways to change my physical being.  And I've started working on some of those.  It's not easy and it won't happen overnight but I have begun the path to fix what has been wrong.  The worst though is the constant reminder of my gender incongruity.  A penis.  Such a thing never did belong on me, yet it is always there.  There are ways to correct this and some day I might be able to do so (if only it weren't so darn expensive).

2.  Sleep.  This has been a thorn in my side for quite some time.  I hate having to sleep.  Even when going through my darkest period (late teens and early twenties) I remember despising the need to sleep.  I do realize that our bodies need sleep for all sorts of reasons but I hate the thought of wasting almost a third of my life.  Despite knowing that my body needs to sleep I often find myself delaying bedtime.  And I will often wake earlier than planned.  I almost never get the recommended eight hours and I do occasionally worry that my health might suffer but I usually do okay with my five to six hours per night.  I am not aware of any way to change this fact of life, this troublesome thing called sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment